The title of emails or the subject line is what helps recipients understand what it’s all about. While typing a new email it is easier to fill out this field. While replying to emails, however, you have the subject field pre-filled. This tutorial article looks at how to change the title in a reply email in outlook online.
To change the title or the subject line of an email start by clicking on reply. You can also use reply all to a mail in your inbox. Click on the box next to the subject, your cursor will move to this box. Start typing the subject. Once you have changed the subject click outside the box.
How to change the title in a reply email in outlook online?
If you are using outlook for your office or personal emails here is a quick tutorial on how to change the subject line.
- Open outlook on your laptop or desktop. In most cases, you will be signed in to your email. If not, set up outlook and log in to your email.
- click on the email that you would like to reply to. The email contents will open on the right of the screen.
- You have two options Reply and Reply all. If you want to reply only to the sender click on the first option. If you want to reply to everyone copied on the mail along with the sender click on Reply all.
- Once you click on Reply, the existing message body will move to the bottom. You can then start typing your response.
- The subject line remains the same as the sender typed in. To change this click on the box next to the subject
- The cursor will move to the block and you can edit it
- Type in the subject that you would like to use for your reply
- Click in another box or the email body
- You can edit the email and click on Send. The email will be sent with the new subject line.
How to edit the subject line in outlook web?
If you are using outlook web, here is how you can change the subject line.
- Open the email communication whose subject line you want to change.
- In the email message’s upper right area, click the three dots.
- Choose “Edit message” from the drop-down option.
- In edit mode, the email message will appear. To edit the topic line, click on it.
- Click the save button in the upper left corner of the screen after making any necessary changes to the subject line.
- The email message will be updated with the new subject line as soon as you save your adjustments.
Note: You might not have access to this choice if your company has disabled the ability to edit the subject line in Outlook Web.
Why can’t I edit the subject line in outlook email?
Email conversations are a norm in corporates, but sometimes it may be difficult to change the subject line. Here are some of the reasons why the subject line in emails you are responding to cannot be changed.
- The subject line editing function has been blocked by your company:
Some companies have chain emails or conversations sent out to the employees. This is one of the major reasons why they disable the option to change an email’s subject line.
- The email message is a conversation:
If the email message is a conversation or thread of emails, you might not be able to change the subject line. The only part of the thread’s subject line that can be changed is the initial message. All responses after this email and any replies will use that subject line by default.
- The email message is still in draft stat:
If the email you are about to send is in the draft state you might not be able to change the subject line. You will only be able to do so after sending the mail.
- Technical difficulties:
Technology can be tricky sometimes, or just broken. If you find it impossible to change the subject line there might be a technical failure or your internet is off. Check your network connection and try refreshing the page. Try logging in to another account.
What to do if the subject line disappeared in outlook 365 on Mac?
If you are using outlook 365 on your mac laptop or desktop here is how you can make the subject line appear.
The subject doesn’t appear because the preview panel is hidden
It may so happen that the preview panel is hidden and that’s the reason you cannot view the subject line. Here is how you can fix this problem
- Open Outlook and log in to your email if you haven’t
- Click on View in the top panel next to the apple logo. You will have a dropdown menu.
- click on Show message previews. A small tick will appear.
The subject doesn’t appear because the column is too small
Another reason why you are not able to see the subject in Outlook is that the column is too small. Here is how you can fix this.
- login to outlook
- Hover the pointer over the panels it will change shape to +
- Now click and drag the column till you see the subject
The subject doesn’t appear because of a technical error
It may so happen that you are logged in to outlook for a long time or the network connectivity is unstable. Either way, the subject or other parts of emails do not load properly. If this is the case try shutting down the application and restarting it. This way you can let the contents reload before viewing them.
Why did my subject line disappear in outlook?
There are various reasons why the subject line can disappear from outlook. Here is how to fix it.
In some cases, due to changes in the message list view settings, the subject line may not be displayed in the message preview pane.
- Click on the View tab in the outlook ribbon
- Now go to the Message Preview section
- Set it to “Right” or “Bottom” by clicking on the option.
You might have to turn off the reading panel to view the subject line of messages
- Go to the “View” option on the Outlook ribbon
- Click on “Reading Pane”
- From the drop-down option, select “Off”.
Adjust the column size
- Hover the mouse over the column
- The pointer will turn into a + (Plus) sign
- Now left-click and drag without releasing the click
If these don’t work it is better to restart outlook.
This article took you through the steps involved in how to change the title in a reply email in outlook online. It also looked at some troubleshooting techniques when the subject doesn’t show on your screen.
Hope you found this tutorial article interesting and informative. Check out similar articles here.
I am Susanne Winberg and I work as an Outlook online expert. I love staying in New York, United States of America, and I have 10+ Years of experience using outlook and outlook online. I enjoy sharing my knowledge on Outlook with others through Outlook tutorials, Outlook tips, and tricks. Read more