Changing the creation date on Word documents is difficult. The average Microsoft Word user will rarely find it necessary to change the time stamp of a document. This being said it is nice to know a few ways in which it can be done. This article takes you through how to change the date modified on a word file online.
To change the date in Word Online, you can use third party software available, this however can be a little risky. Other ways to do this is by changing the system time and re saving the document. You can also go to the properties section of the document and make the desired changes.
How to change the date modified on a word file online?
It is unlikely that as a Microsoft Word user you will feel the need to change the date of creation. However, here are the various ways you can make changes in the date modified on a word file online.
Before understanding how to change the time stamp in word, it is essential to understand that time stamps are applied to the file and not the document.
This may seem confusing but when you save a file it is saved on your system which uses different ways to organize these files.
So if you need to make a change you will have to do it on the system and not the document.
- Open the document you have the word document saved in. Do not open the word document.
- You will see a creation date near the name of the document.
- Right-click on the name of the document for a drop-down menu
- Select Change Attributes
- You will now have a window with file properties.
- From this window, you can make changes to the file creation date.
- Click on the section titled File properties
- Now you will see an option called Modify File Date and Time Stamps. Check the box near this option.
- You can manually enter the date and time you would like.
- After you have made the changes click on Save.
Note: on some computers or while using certain documents you will not be able to change the attributes. The general rule of thumb here is that if you have an option to change use it if not leave it be.
How to change the date modified of a file in Windows?
Here is how you can change the date modifies in a file created and saved in Windows,
Change the system date to change the date modified in files
When creation dates of files need to be modified the simplest way to do it is by changing the system date and saving the file. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Right-click on the clock on your laptop or desktop.
- From the drop-down menu click on the “Adjust Date / Time” option
- Click on and select the option “Change Date and Time”
- Manually insert the date and time you would like the document to reflect.
- Click on OK.
- Now open the document you want to change
- Go to File in the top ribbon and click on “Save As”
- Type the new name of the document
- Select the Save option
Your file will now be saved with the modified date and time.
Change the File properties to modify time stamps
Another way to modify the time stamps of a file is by making changes to the properties of the word file. This method won’t work for files that are in the text or rich-text format.
Here are the steps you can follow
- Go to the folder where the file is located
- Click on the name of the file
- In the details pane click on the section that you would like to modify. If you want to change the date click on the date if time is what you need to make changes click on that section.
Note: if you cannot select a section it’s indicative of the fact that you cannot make changes to it.
Another way of making alterations is by clicking on Properties, here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the folder that contains the file that needs to be edited
- Right-click on the name of the file.
- Click and select properties
- Go to Details to access additional information about the file
- If your system allows changes, you will be able to edit the file attributes from this section.
How to change the file modified date in Mac?
Metadata is useful to get important data about the file, the time and date it was created, and the system that was used to create it.
Sometimes you may find the need to make changes to this data. Here is how it can be done on a mac system.
- Open System preferences
- Open Date & Time. You will have a popup menu
- This section will reflect the time zone you are using. It also shows the date and the default time set.
- To make changes you will first need to unlock the settings. For this, you will need to click on the lock at the bottom.
- Once you click on it, you will have a password prompt.
- Enter your system password and you will be able to make changes to the date and the time.
- To make changes you will need to disable the automatic date and time sitting. Uncheck the box next to “Set Date and Time Automatically”. This way you make adjustments to the time and date.
- Set the time and the date you would like the document to reflect.
- Click on Save
- Go to the folder where you have the file saved
- Click on File and go to the “Save As” option
- Now insert a name you would like to save the file as and click on Save
The file saved will reflect the new time stamp. Don’t forget to set the time and date before logging out. For this, Go to date & time > unlock personalization > and check “Set Date and Time Automatically”.
Changing the time stamps of word documents is a rare occurrence as it is can cause an ethical violation. Be sure you own the document and are not using this modification tool at work or for government correspondence as there can be legal repercussions.
Hope you found this article helpful and interesting. You can check out similar tutorial articles here.
- How to free move pictures in word online
- How to customize lists in Microsoft word online
- hide ribbon on word online
- How to edit a Word document on mac?
- How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.