Charts and Graphs are a great way to present data. It is easier to understand and you can sort out information logically. This tutorial looks at how to make a bar graph on Microsoft Word Online. It explores the ways in which you can add, edit and delete data from a bar graph.
To insert a bar graph into a Word document start by clicking on Insert and opening the Insert tab. From the options click on Charts. Now select Column from the options and click on the format you would like to use. Plug the numbers into the Excel sheet and you will have the graph ready as soon as you close the excel sheet.
How to make a bar graph on Microsoft Word Online?
Bar graphs are also known as Column charts. These can be added to a document by following a few simple steps. Here is how it is done
- Open the document you would like to work on. Click on the spot where you want the graph to appear.
- Go to the Insert tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- Click on Charts from the options available. You will have a dropdown menu
- Select columns. You will have the formats on the right.
- Scroll through the menu and click on the one that you would like to add to the document
- An excel sheet will open.
- Plug in the data you would like to display in the graph.
- Close the excel sheet
- Your graph will appear in the document.
You can make changes to this graph at any time.
How do I edit a graph in Word?
After you have inserted a bar graph into a Word document you can make changes to the data as well as the overall format. In this section we will answer the question How do I edit an existing graph in Word?
- Select the graph by clicking on it.
- You will have two tabs activated in the top ribbon once the graph is selected Chart Design and Format.
- Click on Chart Design
- If you want to edit the data that has been inserted into the chart click on Edit Data in Excel.
- The Excel sheet with the data will now open
- Make the desired changes in the sheet and close excel
- The changes will reflect in the bar graph in Word.
Other than this you can make other edits to the graph from this menu. This includes changing the type of chart you are working with, altering the color, and much more.
The second tab titled Format can be used to arrange data or fill in the shape and other similar functions.
- Click on the format tab
- go to the formatting option that you would like to use
- Make the desired changes.
How to make a bar graph in Word online?
The desktop version of Word has a lot of formatting options and you can insert a graph into the document without much hassle. When it comes to word online you have limited resources, here is how to insert a bar graph in word online.
- Locate and open the Word online document that you would want to add the graph to.
- Make a list of all the data that needs to be plugged into the graph.
- Open Excel online in a new tab
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon
- Proceed to insert a bar from the Charts section
- Plug in the information that needs to be represented.
You will now have the graph ready. Click on the graph to select it.
- Now copy the graph using the copy option in the home tab. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Command + C for mac and Ctrl + C for Windows.
Go back to the word document.
- click where you would like to insert the graph.
- Use the paste option in the home tab to paste the graph. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Command + V on Mac and Ctrl + V on Windows.
After the graph is added to the document you will not be able to make any changes. If you do need to make changes you will have to go back to the excel sheet > make the necessary changes > copy and then paste the graph again.
How do you make a graph on Microsoft Word Mobile?
On mobile devices, you have similar options like word online. With limited options like word online here is how you can add a graph to a Word mobile document.
- Download word and excel for mobile. You can also download Office.
- Login to your office online account
- Tap on Excel.
- You will see all the excel online files created and saved on your account.
- Open the one you would like to use. You can also create a new one by clicking on the + sign in the corner.
- Tap on Home and you will have a menu. Select Insert
- From the options tap on Chart and you will have a list of options
- Select Bar.
- From the options choose the one that you would like to use
- Now add the information needed and create the chart.
Select the chart or graph
- You can copy the chart
- Now open the word document you would like to use the chart in
- Tap on the spot where you want to paste it and hit paste.
If you need to make changes go to the excel sheet make the changes to the original graph and copy-paste it to the document.
How do I make an editable graph in Word?
To make an editable graph in Word you will need to use the desktop version. Here you have more formatting options and you can do it at any time as compared to the online version where you rely on the Excel sheet you use to create the graph.
- Start by clicking on Insert in the top ribbon of the document
- Go to the section titled Charts and add a column
- You will now have an excel sheet open. Plug in the information and close the sheet
- The graph will be added to the document.
- To make changes to the chart all you need to do is select it by clicking on it.
- Once selected use the new tabs in the top ribbon
- You can use the Chart Design tab to edit information added to the chart
- Simply click on Edit Data in Excel and you will be able to change the data inserted.
How to Data Labels in a bar Graph in Word?
Data labels are helpful to understand what the graph is representing. Here is how to activate data labels
- Click on the graph to select it
- Go to the Chart Design tab
- Select Add chart element
- From the dropdown menu select Data labels
- Now select the position from the menu on the right.
- Once you have selected the format the data labels will show on the graph.
This tutorial article took you through how to make a bar graph on Microsoft Word Online. It also looked at how to add a graph to the desktop version of word and on phones and tablets. Finally, it explored formatting and adding data labels.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to make a line graph in Word Online?
- How to stretch an image full width in Word Online?
- How to make a picture as a background in word online?
- How to make a speech bubble on Word Online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.