You never know when you can lose all your data on your phone and there is no way to access it. The uncertainty of your phone falling down any minute and you not being able to get hold of the photos, videos, files, contacts, etc, can be frustrating. Hence, you need to backup Android phone to Google Drive to ensure the data on your phone is safe.
All you need is a simple password to get access to that data when you are trying to restore it to another smartphone. Similarly, while restoring data there are loads of terms as well, you cannot restore the data backed up from a higher Android version to a lower one. Without wasting any more seconds, let us get on with all we have to backup your phone.
Here we go.
How to Backup Android Phone to Google Drive
There are multiple ways you can do it. Either follow the process that is provided by default on every Android phone or you can manually try to make certain changes to backup all the data.
Backup to Google
The first method is where we will be simply using the default settings on every phone that allows you to backup your entire phone on Google Drive. Follow the steps below to make it happen.
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Now, scroll down and click on Google.
- Under Services on this Device section, click on Backup
- Toggle the button ON beside the option Backup to Google One.
If you have never taken a backup before, you can also choose to click on Backup Now, and all your content will start to backup immediately.
This includes your Apps data, Photos & Videos, SMS, Call history, Device settings, and other Google Account data such as contacts, calendars, and more.
Also, make sure you have enough storage on your Google Drive account linked to the device. If you do not have free space, the backup will pause on its own without your knowledge.
Read How to Backup Contacts to Google Drive
How to Add a Backup Account on your Android Phone
If your Google Drive account is full and you are no longer able to backup data on it, you might have to use another account for the same.
Every Android phone has the option where you can switch your backup account and store as much data for free.
Here is how you can add or switch the account on your phone.
- Click on the Settings on your phone.
- Now, scroll down and click on Accounts and Backup
- Select Manage Accounts from the list.
- Now, click on Add account.
You can now add your Google Account to your phone and choose it to backup all your data. Similarly, you can also simply switch to another account from the Manage Accounts section rather than adding a new one.
Read How to Find and Remove Duplicate Files on Google Drive
What is the Data Backup Created on Google Drive?
Now, if you have already started or looked forward to backing up the data from your phone to Drive, you can do it all by the steps mentioned above.
It is important to learn about the list of all the apps and data that are being synced to Google Drive. Here is how you can see it on your phone.
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Go to Google and select Backup.
- Here, scroll down and you can see all the types of data that are synced to Google Drive.
You will find a list of all the elements that will be saved to your Drive mentioned below.
- Images and Videos
- App Data
- Call History
- SMS and MMS
- Device Settings, etc.
Read How to Clear Cache in Google Drive
How to Fix the Backup Error on Android Phone
Even though you might have been successful in creating a backup of your phone on Google Drive, it is highly likely that you will encounter loads of issues while doing so.
If you are unable to work on the backup, here are all the ways you can choose to fix the error.
- Update the Google Drive App: You need to first update the app if you still haven’t. Google brings about a lot of bugs fixes in their new updates hence it is important to make sure you do this before anything else.
- Check the Storage: As we have mentioned before, you need to make sure that your account has enough storage to be able to create a backup. Since Google gives 15GB free space, hence either clearing some space or buying more could solve the issue.
- Make sure your Internet Connection is working: To create a backup on your phone, your device needs a constant internet connection. Hence make sure your internet is connected and working actively.
- Try another Google Account: Lastly, you can only try adding another account to your backup. There is a particular method by which you can add another account and then create a backup there.
- Clear App Data: You might have heard about clearing the cookies or cache from an app. This is what you need to do currently. Simply try clearing the cache from the Google Drive app and try back up now.
Read How to Upload Audio Files to Google Drive
Here we are with everything you need to know to backup Android Phone to Google Drive. The process is automatic as soon as you add your Google Account to the device. However, if it does not work as intended, you can try doing it manually.
Also, as we discussed you can even try adding multiple accounts that serve different purposes such as for photos, contacts, files, and other data. This way your storage will not be completely full and you can keep creating a backup on the same account often.
Furthermore, if you are still unable to create a backup or face any error, you can simply follow the steps we have mentioned in order to fix the error. Or else you can let us know in the comment section below and we will get back to you with the possible solution in order to make sure your data is safe and secure.
You may like the following Google Drive tutorials:
- How to Create Shortcuts in Google Drive
- Google Drive Files Not Showing Up
- How to Create Subfolders in Google Drive
- Google Drive Waiting to Upload Error
- How to Upload Voice Memos to Google Drive
Hello, my name is Shirley. I’m a Google Drive expert and have been working with the platform since it launched. I’ve written extensively about Google Drive tips and tricks, and have created numerous tutorials on how to get the most out of the platform. I also enjoy creating tutorials to help people learn how to use Drive like pros. Read more