The approximate symbol can be added to word documents without additional downloads or plugins. This tutorial article takes you through how to use the approximate symbol in word online.
There are various ways in which an approximate symbol can be inserted into a word online document. This includes adding it from the symbols or the menu. You can also add the sign as a keyboard shortcut from the command section.
How to use the approximate symbol in word online?
In mathematics, the Approximately Equal sign shows the similarity of two statements but not their exact equality. The symbol is a squiggly equal sign in visual terms. Here is how you can insert the approximate symbol in a Word online document.
- Start by logging in to the Word online website and logging in using your credentials.
- By logging in to Office online you can access all the files created and stored on the drive. You can, from here, double click and open a word online document you would like to work on or create a new document.
- Once the document is open, start by clicking on the Insert tab in the top ribbon.
- Click on Equation
- You will have a menu on the right side with various options. These include a section for Recent, one for Symbols, and another for Structures.
- If you have a structure to include click on Structures and then you can include an equation with the approximate sign.
- If you only want the sign to appear in your document click on Symbols.
- you will now have a menu with the various symbols available. Scroll down till you find the approximate sign.
- Click on it to select
- Once selected it will show up in the section on top.
- Click on Insert on Page.
- The approximate symbol will now show on the document where the cursor is.
How to type the approximately equal symbol in Word for Windows?
Working on word online is great as it allows accessing documents created from anywhere. To edit documents in Word for Windows and insert the approximately equal sign here are the steps to follow.
- Login to word online and click on the document you would like to add the symbol to. Now download the document to have an office copy to edit on word for windows.
- Open the document by double-clicking on it and you can edit it using the desktop version of Word online.
- Start by moving the cursor to where you would like to insert the symbol.
- Now click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the various options available click and select Symbol.
- A dropdown menu opens when you click on Symbols, here you will find the various Symbols that can be added to the document.
- If you do not find the approximate symbol in this menu you can click on and select More Symbols.
- Scroll down the menu till you find the approximate symbol.
- Once you find it click on it
- Now click on Insert.
- The approximate symbol will show up in the word document where the cursor is.
How to insert the symbol for approximately equal in Word online for Windows?
Another way to insert the symbol for approximately equal in worse online for windows is from the Equation menu. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by opening the word online document in the desktop version.
- You can access the file from the one drive folder on your Windows device.
- Click on the spot in the document where you would like to have the symbol. The cursor will start to blink at the spot.
- Now go to the Insert tab in the top ribbon of the document and select it.
- From the various options available click on Equation (on the extreme right).
- If you need to insert an entire equation you can choose from the options available. If not click on Insert New Equation.
- A blank equation will now show up in the document where the cursor is.
- Click on the equation for the Equation tools in the top ribbon.
- Go to the Equation tools section.
- scroll through the options in the Symbols section and select the approximate symbol
- The symbol will appear in the word online document where the equation was.
How to insert the approximately equal to or almost equal to symbol in Word online for mac?
Did you know you can access the files created in Word online offline? all you need to do is download the one drive application for mac. Login using the credentials and all the files will sync. Here is how you can edit documents from One drive to insert the approximate symbol.
- Open the One Drive folder on your Mac laptop or desktop.
- Double click on the document you would like to work on.
- Move the cursor to the spot where you would like to add the symbol. This can be done by clicking on the spot or moving the cursor using the arrow keys.
- Click on the Insert tab in the top ribbon of the word online document
- From the various options available click on and select Symbols.
- You will now have a drop-down menu with symbols to choose from. In most cases, you will not find the approximate symbol here. Click on More Symbols for an extended menu.
- As the approximate symbol is not commonly used you will need to scroll down through the menu. Once you locate the symbol, click on it.
- You can then click on Insert
- The approximate symbol will show in the document where the cursor is.
How to use equations to insert the almost equal sign in Word online for Mac?
The approximate symbol can be inserted into documents using the equation menu in word online on Mac laptops and desktops. Here is how it’s done.
- Double click to open the document that needs to be edited.
- Click on the Insert tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the options available click on and select Equations
- You will then have an equation in the document. Be sure to have the cursor in the spot where you need the symbol.
- Click on the Blank equation in the document to select it.
- You will now have an Equations tools tab in the top ribbon.
- Scroll through the symbols and select the approximate symbol.
- You will now have the approximate symbol in your document.
The approximate symbol is used in mathematics to denote equations that are similar. There are various ways in which you can add approximately symbol to your word online document. The two most common ways of doing it are from the symbols menu and the equations menu under Insert. You could also copy the symbol and paste it into the document.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to alphabetize in office 365 word online
- How do I wrap text in word online?
- print Word doc with comments on word online
- How do you put a different background on each page in Word Online?
- How to adjust the cell height in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.