Microsoft OneDrive is undoubtedly one of the most popular cloud storage solutions. It is an integral part of Microsoft Windows, and over the recent few years, Microsoft has tightly integrated this cloud storage solution into Windows.
You can add OneDrive to File Explorer with a few simple steps. Open Microsoft Store on your Windows PC and search for OneDrive in the search box. Next, open the page and click on Get to start installing the app on your system. After this, you can launch the OneDrive app on your system and set everything up as shown on the screen.
Since it’s built into Windows, you will probably find it installed on your system. However, in case it isn’t there, this guide will also help you install and set it up so that you can use all your OneDrive folders and subfolders in File Explorer.
How to Add OneDrive to File Explorer on Windows
As we have already stated, OneDrive is integral to Microsoft Windows and comes pre-installed on Windows 10 PCs. However, for any reason, if you cannot find it on your computer, you can visit Microsoft Store and download it.
Here is how you can do it –
- First of all, launch Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 PC. You can do that by opening Microsoft Store from the Apps menu or by simply searching for Microsoft Store in the search bar.
- If you are opening the Microsoft Store for the first time, it may ask you to sign in using your Microsoft account. Don’t panic, as this process will hardly take a couple of minutes. Provide all the essential details it may ask for and log in. Skip this step if you have already logged in.
- Now, in the search box, type OneDrive and hit enter. This will show you the app in the search results.
- Click on the OneDrive icon, and it will take you to the OneDrive app page.
- Click on the Get option, and it will start downloading Microsoft OneDrive on your Windows 10 PC.
Depending on your internet speed, this entire process may take a few seconds to a couple of minutes. However, once it is downloaded, it will automatically be installed on your computer, and all you need to do is set it up so that it can appear in your File Explorer.
Set Up OneDrive on Windows
For that, you have to follow these simple steps –
- Launch Microsoft OneDrive on your computer. If you haven’t closed Microsoft Store, you can launch it from there or search for OneDrive in the search box and launch it.
- It will ask you to Set Up OneDrive. For this, all you have to do is sign in to OneDrive. You can use the same account we used earlier to sign into Microsoft Store, any other Microsoft OneDrive account you have, or you can create a new one.
- It will ask you to select a OneDrive folder. If you have already used OneDrive on this Windows PC, you can see the existing OneDrive folder on your PC. Select it and click on the Use this folder option.
That’s it. After that, you will be able to see and manage Microsoft OneDrive in your File Explorer.
The best thing about setting up OneDrive on File Explorer is that it allows you to drag and drop files and folders to OneDrive or vice versa.
How to Add OneDrive to File Explorer in Windows 7
The guide mentioned above is perfect for Windows 10 and even Windows 11, but something else might work better for Windows 7 PC. This is because Microsoft OneDrive isn’t a built-in application for Windows 7.
In that case, you can follow these simple steps to add OneDrive to File Explorer in Windows 7 –
- First of all, visit this URL and download the OneDrive.exe file.
- Once downloaded, run the file to initiate the installation process.
- After a successful installation, launch the OneDrive application.
- It will ask you to Set Up OneDrive. Simply log in using your OneDrive account credentials and follow the rest of the instructions carefully.
- After setting up, it will ask you to select the folder where all your OneDrive files and folders will be synced. You can leave the default location or select a custom location and click on the Next button.
- Afterwards, it will ask you to select the folder you want to sync with your OneDrive. This folder will sync all of the files to OneDrive and vice versa.
That’s it. After setting up all that, you can see the OneDrive icon on your Windows File Explorer.
Bonus – How to add OneDrive to Finder on macOS
Despite being a Microsoft product, OneDrive is also available for macOS, allowing you to get it on your Mac PCs. Therefore, in case you are wondering how to add OneDrive to Finder, you can follow these simple steps –
- Launch the Mac App Store.
- Search for OneDrive and install it. You may be asked to enter your password; if it does, enter it.
- Launch the OneDrive app.
- You will be asked to sign in to your OneDrive account. Use your OneDrive account credentials to log in.
Once you do that, you will see the OneDrive icon at the top bar and in Finder.
There you have it – a detailed guide covering adding OneDrive to File Explorer.
So, we are about to wrap up this article, and we hope that this article was helpful to you. We tried to cover all the possible ways to add OneDrive to File Explorer and Finder. You can follow the steps shared in the article and easily set up OneDrive on Microsoft Windows or your Mac PC.
With that said, here I am wrapping up this article. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them in the comment section below. Our team will try to respond ASAP.
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.