Academic papers and official documents need to be segregated into multiple headings or topics. If there is no prescribed format you can use the header section to make a clear distinction between sections. In this tutorial, we will take you through how to add different headers in word online.
To add different headers in word online start by clicking on insert and adding a Page break to the document. This way you will have different sections. You can then go to the various sections and click on the header by clicking on the Tab on the right. After the header is added insert the desired topic or description.
How to add different headers in word online?
When it comes to adding different headers to the word online document you are working on you have different options. Here is a brief explanation of all the options available and steps on how to do it.
How to add different headings using page break?
When working on Word online documents the first option you have is to add a page bread. Add page breaks to documents is the best when you want to start afresh with topics. Here are the steps you can follow to add different headings using page breaks.
- Start by opening the word online document that you need to work on. This can be done by logging into the website using your login credentials.
- Wors online documents can be edited online, all you need is a decent internet connection. Once logged in double click on the document and it will open in a new tab.
- Click on the spot where you would like to start a new heading or section.
- To add a page break go to the insert tab in the top ribbon.
- Here you will have various options to choose from, on the extreme left you will see the page break option.
- Click on Page Break to select it.
- An extra page will be inserted into the document immediately at the spot where your cursor is.
- Once the document is divided you can easily add headers to the sections.
- To add a header click on Insert
- You will now need to click on Header & Footer to open the header and the editing options.
- Another way of adding a header to the document is by clicking on the tab in the top-right corner of the document.
- Once you have the header and the options open you can easily make changes.
- Be sure to save the document from time to time to avoid losing the formatting.
How to insert multiple headers using header options?
Another way in which headers can be manipulated is by using the header editing tools in word online. Here is how it is done.
- Log in to your office online account and double click on the file you would like to edit
- Once you have the document open start by clicking on the section that needs a header.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon for options
- From among the various options available click and select Header & Footer
- The header will now show on your document. Click on it and add the required text.
To change the settings click on Options in the right corner. Here is a brief about the options available
- Same across the entire document – by choosing this option you will have the same header for the entire document
- Different first page – this option allows you to have a specific header only for the first page of the document. The other pages of the document will have a single header.
- Different Even & Odd pages – this option allows you to have two header options, one for the even pages and the other for the odd ones.
- Different First, Even & Odd pages – if you require a separate header for the first page and then alternate headers this option is for you. It allows you to have a special header for the first page and then you can alternate between two headers on the other pages.
How to remove the different headers from a word online document?
Here are ways in which you can remove one or more headers for a word online document.
- Click the tab on the right of the document to open the header. You can also click on insert and select Header & Footer.
- Once the header is open click and select Options.
- under Options, you can delete page numbers if any, and also headers & Footers.
- Click on and select Remove Headers & Footers.
Can you have multiple different headers in Word Online?
On Windows systems, it is possible to have and edit different headers. In this section, we will take you through the various steps involved in enabling and editing multiple headers on the desktop version of Word online.
- Access files created in word online from the website or from one drive. You can also download the one drive application for windows and have all the files synced to the cloud.
- Once you have the document double click to open it.
- Start by clicking on Insert located in the top ribbon of your document.
- You can then go down to the options available and select Header.
- Once you click on Header you will see various formats and options.
- You can scroll through the various options available. Click and select the one that fits your needs the best. Select More headers from Office.com if you are not satisfied with those available.
- You will see that a header appears on the top of your document.
- Click inside the header for the Header & Footer menu.
Under Option, you will see different formats. Here is a brief about those available.
- Different First Page – here the first page of your document will have a different header as compared to the rest of the document.
- Different Odd & Even Pages – by selecting this option you can have two header variations. One will be used for the even pages while the others will be used for the odd ones.
To select an option simply click on the box on the right. The checkmark indicates selection.
How to add multiple headers in Word?
The options under Header are limited. You can only have different headers for the first, even, and odd pages. Here is how you can add multiple headers in word by using the page break option.
- Start by clicking on the document that needs to be edited and open it. You can use the One Drive application for Windows to access files created in word online.
- Once the document is open you will need to click on the section that requires another header.
- You will see that the cursor comes to the spot where you have clicked.
- Once you have the cursor in the right place go to Layout in the top ribbon. Click on it for more options.
- Under Layout, you will see Breaks. Click on the arrow for a dropdown menu.
- in the section breaks section, you can select next page. Here the section you want to separate will start on the next page of the document.
- once you have a new page go to the header section and add a header to that page. This way you can add a specific header to the page that was broken away from the rest of the document.
How to delete a header from Word for Microsoft?
To delete a header from the document you are working on here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the document and double-click on the header.
- You will have the header editing options open as a tab.
- From here click on Header.
- Under the pre-formatted headers, you will see options including edit and an option to make an online search for more formats. Select Remove Header and the header will disappear from your document.
How to add multiple headers to word documents on Mac devices?
Here are the steps you can follow if you want to add multiple headers to word documents on Mac.
- Download the One Drive application for Mac. You will need to log in to your account. Once logged in you will have access to all the files created using Word online.
- Double click and open the word online document that you would like to edit. As a default setting files will open in the desktop application of Word.
- Click on and open the Insert menu in the top ribbon.
- From the options available select Header
- You will now see that a header shows up on the document. You will also notice an editing menu added to the top ribbon.
- in this menu, you will see a section titled Options. here you have two formatting options different for the first page and different for odd and even pages.
- You can select the ones you would like to apply to the document by ticking in the boxes next to the option.
- If you choose to have a different header for the first page the rest of the document will have one header while the first page will have another.
- When it comes to the second option you will see that you can create two headers one for the odd pages with the other for the even ones.
How to add multiple headers in Mac using page breaks?
Another way of adding multiple headers to word online documents on Mac systems is by using page breaks. Here is a step to step guide on how it’s done.
- Click on the section that you would like to separate. You will notice that the cursor moves to the spot you have clicked on.
- Once the Cursor is in place click on Layout in the top ribbon.
- Under the page breaks section click on Page and choose next page. This way the new section will show on a new page.
- You can now double-click on the header section and select the format you like. Add a header to the section.
How to remove different headers from Word?
Here are the steps you can follow to delete multiple headers from a word online document.
- Start by double-clicking on the header section of the document. by doing this you will activate the header and open the header and footer editing menu.
- You will now need to click on Header for a dropdown menu.
- Under the pre-formatted header options available you will see an option titled Remove header.
- Click on Remove header
- The header will be deleted from the word online document.
How to add different headers to sections in Word online on Android devices?
Here is how you can add different headings to word online documents from your android device.
- Download the Word online application from the play store and sign in to your account. You will now have access to all the documents created on word online.
- Once you have the list of documents tap on and select the document that you would like to edit.
- Enable editing by taping on the edit icon
- From the options available tap on the A with ta pencil to open the editing menu at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap on Home for the list of options available
- Tap on and select Insert
- On selecting Insert you will have a wide range of options on your screen. Scroll down and select Header & Footer.
- you will now have two options header and footer. Tap on and select Header for editing options.
- Scroll down and select Options in the menu
- You can from here choose to have a different first page or different odd and even pages.
Another way of adding multiple headers to word online documents on android devices is by using the page break option. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Tap on the section that needs to be separated. You will see that the cursor starts blinking on the spot.
- Now tap on Home and select Layout.
- Under layout select breaks
- The section will be separated.
- You can now add a header to the section.
How to add different headers to a word online document on iOS?
Here are the steps you can follow to add multiple headers to a document in Word for iOS.
- Download the word application for iOS from the store and log in to your Office online account.
- Tap on and open the document you would like to add headers to
- Enable editing and go to the editing menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on and select insert.
- From the menu select header & Footer
- Now select Header and you will see a header on your screen
- go to the Header Menu and select options
- Now choose from the different first page or different odd & even pages or both.
Another way of adding multiple headers is by adding page breaks. Here is how it is done.
- Tap on the section that needs to be separated
- Go to layout in the editing menu at the bottom
- Tap on breaks
- The section will be pushed onto a new page. You can then add headers to the document from the insert section.
Headers are great for documents. They not only accommodate the content that would otherwise take up space in the document but also stand out and help make a point. In this tutorial, we took you through how to add multiple headers to word online documents. Here are some of the points covered
- How to add and remove multiple headers in word online documents.
- How to insert multiple headers on mac and windows systems
- Steps to remove headers from word online documents on Mac and Word.
- How to insert different headers on Android and iOS devices.
Hope you found this article interesting and helpful. For more tutorials like these click on the links below.
- How to separate pages in word online?
- How to insert equation in word online?
- Sign a document in Word Online
- How to insert text box in word online?
- How to double space in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.